1289 Stratford-upon-Avon Squadron was formed in April 1941 after a meeting was called by the Mayor of Stratford in February of that year. Flt Lt G.C.D. Lindsay RAF VR (T) took command and by May the squadron was about eighty strong. It was not long after that a detached flight at Kineton was formed taking the combined strength to one hundred and fifty cadets. One of the founding members Ray Brandish became a wartime rear gunner and was an active member of the Squadron Civilian Committee until recently. Unfortunately by 1955 the numbers had dwindled and the Squadron was disbanded.
On the 1st February 1976 under the instigation of Mr. P. Alun - Jones the Headmaster of Stratford High School, the unit was reformed as a detached flight to 1368 (Warwick) Squadron. 1368 (Stratford - Upon - Avon) DF under the command of Flt Lt J. Linnegar RAF VR (T) continued to gain strength and exactly one year later, the 1st February 1977 the unit was granted full Squadron status and regained its original number 1289. In 1978 Flt Lt D. Barons RAF VR (T) took command of the Squadron from Flt Lt Linnegar. In 1983 a Squadron Band was started but sadly did not continue. By 1985 the commanding officer was Flt Lt G. Beard RAF VR (T) who handed over to Flt Lt A.R. Lamb RAF VR (T) in January 2000.
Under Flt Lt Lamb, and at the request of the then Wing Commander, the Squadron created a band. Over the years they have developed incredibly well, and currently hold the Wing Band Trophy 2016. The band plays at many of the town's events, in particular the annual Remembrance Sunday parade. In January 2015, Flt Lt Lamb handed command of the Squadron to Plt Off D. Ariss VR (T), formally the Squadron's Warrant Officer. The Squadron has continued to recruit and develop, recently recieving a brand new minibus, thanks to the work of Flt Lt Ariss and the Stratford Town Trust.
Flt Lt Lamb and Flt Lt Ariss